<VV> Re: 6 stroke

Kinzelman, Andy akinzelm at greatnortherncorp.com
Mon Feb 27 13:40:44 EST 2006

>The latest Autoweek has a story about a new 6 stroke engine - designed &
>developed by Crower (Cams) - it functions like a normal 4 stroke for the
>first four strokes, on the fifth stroke the intake does not open - near
>TDC water is injected into the hot cylinder to form a steam stroke, and
>the sixth stroke exhausts the steam.  Apparently the steam stroke also
>removes enough heat that the engine requires no additional cooling.

*But the cam would need to turn at 1/3 instead of 1/2 engine speed.
*Theoretically possible but now need a water tank. No cooling fins ? Sounds
*like would also have 1/3 less peak power for a given displacement unless
*the steam stroke adds some. Now on a 4-6-8 engine...

*Padgett

Actually, I should have written the steam stroke is an additional power stroke.  The story did mention that the cam had to turn at 1/3 crank speed.
The water tank is obviously a necessity - but may be worthwhile given the additional (free) power & the elimination of the cooling system.

I would be concerned about thermal shock - but the CC should stay clean.  All in all, it seems worthwhile for additional experimentation.

Andy K.