<VV> Multiple Rust problems on My 66 Convertible- YIKES! Help!

Norman C. Witte ncwitte at wittelaw.com
Mon Feb 27 15:19:53 EST 2006

Neil,

It would be nice to start with a rustfree body and go from there, but as the
fleet ages those are getting harder to find.  My '65 Corsa turbovert had
very similar rust to that you are describing; take a look at

http://www.wittelaw.com/personal/turbo/11.htm

if you want to see what kind of condition the car was in.  I had one rocker
that needed a reskin and one that was fine because of a clogged drain hole.
The drain holes at the rear of the rocker just ahead of the wheel can become
clogged, resulting in water being trapped in the rocker.  That's what
happened on the right side of my car, but the left was absolutely fine.  I
know the hole was clogged because my daughter knocked the dirt plug out of
it with a screw driver.  The rocker was cut off and the sheetmetal below was
very solid.  When the work was done, I was confident that my car was
extremely solid.

The point is that while the car did require rust repair, it was limited in
nature.  I could see that it was caused by drainage problems in some
specific areas.  By contrast, I've had two other Corvairs that were Michigan
based cars and rust was endemic.  I'm sure they could have been repaired but
it would have required Herculean efforts akin to what Kent did, and neither
car justified the effort.  The smartest thing I did was to sell one of those
cars early before I put a lot of work into it in favor of finding a better
starting point.

It's as important to determine what caused the rust damage as to determine
its scope.  If the car spent time in the salt bath like most Michigan-based
cars did, you're probably better advised to give it up and find a different
car.  If it's something like what my car had, decide whether it might be
cheaper -- and easier -- to spend maybe $2-3k on rust repair than to start
from scratch with another set of unknowns.  An added factor is that '66
Corsa convertibles are fairly rare, so your car is probably a better
candidate for more extensive repairs.  In any event, the rocker repair WILL
require cutting and welding, and it's structural, but it's not as bad as you
may think.  A competent body shop can do this repair without that much
trouble.  Even if you're not looking to make a show car, it makes sense to
cut out the rust and weld metal in.

Norm Witte

mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
http://www.corvair.org/