<VV> Re: Ticking noise

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Tue Feb 28 18:35:22 EST 2006

In a message dated 2/28/2006 2:01:29 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
wadde001 at tc.umn.edu writes:

I too  have a ticking, and I know it is a sticky lifter. It even
broke a rocker  and bent the pushrod once! What is this "FLAPS"
stuff? I would like to try  it before I go to all the trouble
of replacing the lifter. (How big a deal  is it to replace a lifter anyway?
I'm by no means an expert, but I'm  willing to learn! I replaced the rod
and rocker, but was afraid to go into  the guts.)

Hi Jim,
FLAPS is your friendly local auto parts store. the stuff is whatever they
sell for cleaning up sticky lifters. usually several different kinds of  'stuff".

But I'm concerned about that rocker and bent pushrod....the bad lifter
probably DID NOT CAUSE THIS!  it probably was a valve stem stuck in the  guide. If
not, it was caused by over-revving the engine.

Replacing the lifter isn't too hard. Remove the valve train and the pushrod
tube. Then work the lifter out. It helps to have a length of piano wire with a
 hook bent on the end to catch the hole in the seat of the lifter to pull
the lifter out. Just lube and reinsert the new lifter.

Hope that this helps.
Regards,
Bob Helt