Fwd: <VV> Multiple Rust problems on My 66 Convertible- YIKES! Help!

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Tue Feb 28 18:36:43 EST 2006

In a message dated 2/28/2006 7:24:38 AM Eastern Standard Time,
neil_ljl at yahoo.com writes:

> I'm not looking to make this a show car, just a safe and solid car I can
> enjoy. If there are any methods of making the repairs without getting into
> complex welding and fabrication I need to hear about them.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Neil

Having gone through one complete body redo (with a trusted body man--now
dead) on a '65 Monza convertible I can only offer the following:

The convertible rockers have an inner reinforcing piece the length of the
rocker.  Because this piece is so close to the outer rocker (the part that is
painted) it is easy for rust to begin in the small space in between the two.  I
would cut open the rusty parts of the outer rocker just enough to inspect the
inner reinforcement.  If it isn't completely gone then you can clean it, put on
a rust eating coating of your choice and patch the outer rocker.  If the car
isn't sagging already there is probably enough left to salvage if you have the
time, money and patience.  I have heard from many that the convertibles also
had a heavier guage metal in the rockers though I can't swear that it is
gospel.

Any rusty Corvair today is bound to be less rusty than what you will find in
five or ten years (barring that forgotten turbo Canadian Corsa with
telescoping wheel, F41 suspension and quick steering that your great aunt Edna is going
to leave you).

And fixing your convertible will probably be cheaper than playing golf--plus
your kids will benefit from all the colorful language you will teach them.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 Brier
'65 Corsa