<VV> Boring-more heat?

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Mon Jan 2 11:38:38 EST 2006

Bottom line: More bore = more power. More power = more heat. Also, removing
mass from the cylinder(s) means they will heat up faster. And two strokes,
like  a lot of dirt bikes have had, are already cooling limited as it is.
Hence...

In a message dated 1/2/2006 9:09:14 AM Eastern Standard Time, pp2 at 6007.us
writes:

>Someone once told me that when you bore things (we
>were  talking about an air-cooled motorcycle at the
>time)  they tend to  run at higher temps.

Never really studied it but you have slightly  increased the charge (more
BTUs on combustion) and the ring wiping  friction has also gone up slightly.
Of course any specific overbore (e.g.  .030") will have proportionally more
of an effect on a small bore engine  than a large bore.

Padgett