<VV> Car salesmen - no Corvair

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Mon Jan 2 21:02:04 EST 2006

Great web site Jeff.  Like most folks, I don't like doing the whole
negotiation dance.  FWIW, what's worked for me is roughly as follows:

  - Figure out what you want (big problem is many folks skip this step.
This has to suck for the sales folks too).
  - Call around and find out who has approximately what you want.
  - Look at a few cars, none will be a perfect match, so decide what you
really can't live without.
  - Most cars are discounted to the dealer about 8 - 12%.
  - Understand it's a business, not a charity.
  - Tell the dealer you'll give them the price for what you want but
subtract the stuff you don't want, coincidentally (cough) about 5% off.
  Another good reference is that's about what the buying services can
get you if you have one.

Works for me.

--Bryan