<VV>Re: Car Buying- the wave of the future? (non-corvair)

Jeff Clark markii56 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 3 20:45:08 EST 2006

Russ Moorhouse wrote:

"...A common compliant from those I know, who have had
success in Internet buying, is a large number of the
dealers will call you or send you an email asking you
to give them a call to discuss the transaction, rather
than sending you a quote.  That's not the way it's
supposed to be and all of these people just ignored
these salesman and only dealt with those who sent out
quotes..."

I handled all Internet inquiries in my dealership for
nearly a year, and my first response ALWAYS included
an EXACT price quote (assuming I could figure out what
a customer was looking for...), which was never above,
but often below, factory invoice.  The frustrating
part for me (and my fellow salespeople will I'm sure
agree) was all the bogus inquiries.  About a third of
the inquiries are kids playing on the computer.  At
least half of the remaining two-thirds had incorrect
phone numbers, e-mail addresses, or no way to contact
the person at all.  And I work in an area that's
high-tech and people are computer-savvy.  I've since
gone back to regular sales, with just my one website
for a source of customers.  From this end of things,
the Internet has a LOOOOONG way to go before it's the
definitive way to buy and sell vehicles.