<VV> Sound deadening

Paul Rollins s_debaker at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 5 20:19:39 EST 2006

At 01:25 PM 1/5/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:09:17 -0800
>From: "Andy Clark" <slowboat at mindspring.com>
>Subject: Re: <VV> Sound deadening
>To: "vv" <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
>
>Hi, Brian.
>I have not used that particular kit, but I do use sound deadening material.
>I've used Dynamat in the past, but more recently found Brown Bread (yup,
>that's the name- made by B-Quiet). It's similar to Dynamat, but cheaper.
>It's a
>self-adhesive deadening compound bonded to an aluminum foil face. Cut it to
>fit with scissors and press in place. (Well, for those of us in northern
>climes doing this in the dead of winter....a heat gun helps it stick).
>Brown bread is available from:
>             http://www.b-quiet.com/ebay-brownbread.html
>or call them at 877-727-8438
>
>Last time I ordered (about 1 1/2 years ago) it came in a 70sq ft roll, with
>an installation roller for $134.99 + $25 for shipping via UPS Ground (it's
>heavy stuff). One roll did my LM sedan floor, front bulkhead, rear bulkhead
>and 4 doors plus the rear bulkhead and 1/2 the floor in my LM Stinger Clone,
>now in process. A 50 sq ft roll ($104.99 + $20 UPS) will probably do one
>complete car interior (except for the roof).
>
>More than worth the cost and effort in reducing interior sound. Plus the
>doors now close with a satisfying "thunk".
>
>HTH.
>Andy Clark
>Camano Island, WA.
>66 140/4 Monza Sedan
>66 140/4 Stinger Clone
>66 180/4 Cord 8/10 #60

I am genetically constrained from spending $150 to do something that I can
do for $10. For the price of one of these kits, one could probably
soundproof every Car at the National, with the "redneck sound suppressor
system."

I Use 30# roofing felt and plastic roofing cement. I cut the roofing felt
to size and shape, coat one side with plastic roofing cement, and press in
place. Usually, two layers are enough, and three are the 'DeLuxe"
treatment. I have used this on many cars, on the floors, in the doors and
side panels, and elsewhere. It even looks a lot like what the factory did
to the cars to soundproof them.

This simple system probably works so well not just because the material
impedes sound transmission, but even more importantly, because it dampens
the vibrations of the panels.

I am not recommending that anyone else do this, just reporting on my
experience.

Paul