<VV> Re: Ad - Turbo question?

Joel S. Garblik jgarblik at comcast.net
Fri Jan 6 18:48:51 EST 2006

I really appreciate the prompt feedback that I have received from so many of
you.  I was compelled to re-visit this issue and, since it was a relatively
pleasant day here in Philly, I took the Spyder out to an open road and
allowed her to rip.  I had a friend pace me in his car so as to compare
speed readings.
I have always known that my speedometer and odometer were quirky.  As
advised by some forum members, that this could be due to an aging
speedometer, new radial tires, or other differences.  For 8 years, I just
accepted the fact that the speedometer wasn't accurate, but it was probably
close.
In reality, it was off by a lot.  The speedo indicated that I was going
around 25mph, when in fact I was going closer to 35 mph.  This was still in
2nd gear.
In 3rd gear, the speedometer was indicating around 35 mph, when, in fact, I
was closer to 45-50 mph.  Apparently, I had been speeding in my neighborhood
for awhile.
At the fastest speed today, the speedometer was wavering around 55 mph,
3500-4000 rpm, and I was told that I was exceeding 70mph.  There was room
for me to go faster, but I was limited because of traffic and other cars.  I
would suspect, then the car would be in the 80+ mph range.  I had mentioned
that I do not prefer to drive this car, that quickly, but I am relieved to
know that it does go faster than 55 mph.
The "accurate" comment for the ad is still that top speed "seems to be
around 55mph" because that is what the speedo indicates.  In a way, it's a
good governor for me because it would be easy to get out of hand.
Thank you all for your kind suggestions,  I also did notice that the car did
get to high speeds much easier when I released the emergency brake. ;-)

Joel