<VV> Battery cables for 1965-69 Corvairs

Kent Sullivan kentsu at corvairkid.com
Sat Jan 7 21:43:36 EST 2006

Hi,

I am doing research on battery cable part numbers for 1965-66 Corvairs built
in the U.S. and Canada. I'm also looking into 1967-69 U.S.-built Corvairs.

The U.S. assembly manual is clear on the part numbers for both standard and
heavy-duty batteries. I am wondering though if the numbers stamped into the
cables themselves match reality. :-) Partly I am saying this because the
listings in the various parts books for 1965 and later, U.S. and Canada, are
a total mess on the subject of battery cables. Lots of contradictory info.

If you have a 1965-69 Corvair with original battery cables (see Note 1 below
for tips on identifying), please send me any part numbers that you find
stamped on the cables. The stamping was done such that there is an
indentation in the cable with white paint in the sunken area, to make it
easier to see. (Sometimes the paint is worn). There may be a couple of
letters after the numbers. An example is 2987281ZF.

It looks like that, once again, the Canadian cables have different part
numbers. I need more examples of original Canadian cars to see the extent of
the differences though.

NOTE 1: Original cables came with "spring ring" ends. However, don't let the
lack of a spring-ring end on a cable lead you to assume that it's not
original. Sometimes people will repair spring-ring cables by cutting off the
spring-ring end and attaching a bolt-on end. That's fine--only the Chevy
cables have part numbers stamped in them so IF YOUR CABLE HAS A PART NUMBER
ON IT, I WANT IT. :-)

NOTE 2: Reproduction spring-ring cables are available, with part numbers. I
am interested only in originals, so hopefully you will know if your car has
original or repro spring ring cables.

NOTE 3: If you send me any part numbers, please include:

1) Which is the positive and which is the negative cable number

2) The VIN of the vehicle

3) The body build date of the vehicle (two numbers and a letter on top line
of Fisher Body tag)

Thanks,

--Kent