<VV> Re: Turbo Boost

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Sun Jan 8 14:41:53 EST 2006

You have two main problems to deal with...  detonation and pistons.

You can control detonation beyond 15psi with your setup (by using water
injection and some sort of knock sensor/ignition).  An MSD will work,
but a more finely tuned device for a Corvair turbo is the Safeguard from
Ray Sedman( american-pi.com ). This gives you a knock sensor, boost
retard, and rev limiter all in one device and can be specifically tuned
to your specs.

However, 15psi is the point at which the TRW pistons collapse. You can
go to around 20psi with the KB HK pistons, but these are very brittle
and VERY prone to detonation damage, so you have to be VERY careful when
using them. Best way to go (with a little more room for error) are the
custom forged pistons from Ray.

(If you're going to run a high output Corvair turbo, you need to talk to
Ray...)

I like Warren LeVeque's water injection... and his progressive mod to
the Weber for better throttle response.

The third problem (which you will likely not see on the street) is heat
buildup. I think most of the guys running turbos on the track limit
boost to less than 10psi.

Bill