<VV>Tires

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Mon Jan 9 18:45:09 EST 2006

On Jan 9, 2006, at 10:22 AM, Padgett wrote:

> Actually "letter" sizes continued well into the 1980s before being
> replaced and were very analogous to the P-metric (which is different
> from pure metric) sizes. A-175, C-185, E-195, F-205, G-215, H-225,
> L-235 etc. and aspect ratios have not changed (yes, Virginia, there
> were B , D, and other sizes, just rarely seen). These were much easier
> to understand than the previous sizing where a 7.50 might be smaller
> than a 7.35  (last two digits were more aspect ratio related).

I'm quite sure that the last two digits of the old "X.XX" sizes had
nothing at all to do with aspect ratios. The entire number was somehow
representative of a width dimension of the tire; probably the simply
cross section. Thus, I believe a 8.00-14 was 8" in cross section.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina
Greenville, SC