<VV> wheel restoration

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Jan 9 21:59:59 EST 2006

This wheel restoration goees on all the time in collision repair. Ask
local collision shops who they use for wheel repair. The local
publication "Hammer & Dolly" of the Washinton Metropolitan Area Body
Association list one place in the December issue: Hubcap Heaven
301-773-3733 in Hyattsville MD. $125 exchange for basic reconditioning.
I know nothing about them.

At my shop we used to strip the wheels with aircraft style paint
stripper, attempt to smooth out slight bends and sand out corrosion.
Polish, treat with Alumaprep and refinish with clear urethane. Talk to
local automotive paint supplier for what works in your area. Major bends
I figured were liabilities and did not fix. Wheel reconditioners will
fix some pretty good rim bends. Any crack is no good! Some
reconditioners go as far as mounting the wheels on a lathe and make a
slight cut to get the original look.

Do a Google search.       Log onto autobodystore.com/forums
autobodypro.com    autobodyonline.com

Frank DuVal