<VV> Re: Ad - Turbo question?

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Tue Jan 10 14:35:35 EST 2006

I find that all cars have a "comfort" speed (which the car seems to
settle into if you're not paying attention and there are no adverse road
conditions). I have a theory that this is close to the torque peak of
the engine... so older cars without overdrive will necessarily have a
lower "comfort speed" than modern cars. In a similar vein, due to
overdriven modern cars, the same speed in an older nonoverdrive car will
_seem_ much faster.

I find it interesting that so many folks are more comfortable in heavy
(and topheavy) SUV's than they are in normal cars... except for the
engine being wound up, I'm much  more comfortable in my Corvair at 90mph
than I am in my Suburban.

In terms of steering and stability alone, Corvairs without a front
spoiler/air dam "feel" light" over 60-65mph... but that's easily solved.
Narrow hard tires (which give little feedback) are easily replaced by
modern low profile rubber. Almost every Corvair I've been in is
underdamped (modern performance shocks cure that) and virtually all have
had loose steering (quickly cured by a modern pitman arm bushing) and/or
a bad alignment (aligned to bias spec tires vice radials). So you are
correct...in _most_ Corvairs I would not be comfortable in much more
than 60-65 on a routine basis, but in _my_ Corvairs, I'm not speed
limited by the car... only by my fear of revenue enhancement officials.
I'm more comfortable running at high speeds in a slightly modified
Corvair than virtually any other car of the era...

What I also find interesting is how various "high performance" cars feel
at really high speeds (say 125mph). While I've owned a good number of
cars that would readily do that, I've only driven a handful that felt
good there...

Bill