<VV> Re: Corvair speeds?

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Tue Jan 10 14:54:32 EST 2006

Just a note - the brakes on a Corvair are only as good as the tires.
Assuming decent rubber and up to snuff brakes, a Corvair will easily
outbrake most new cars.  I will give you the ABS does offer control
advantages, but that's not as great an improvement as some might
believe, raw stopping power does matter.

I'm not clear on steering.  Again, disregarding electronic assistance,
a Corvair in good repair should not have any steering/stability issues.
  I don't disagree that the new car would be more survivable in a high
speed crash, but even so, the safest thing to do is avoid it in the
first place.  Compared to most average cars and SUVs (really just
overgrown wagons) a Corvair does just fine in this regard.

That's not to say that today's cars aren't better - they are - but a
good Corvair should be comfortable cruising at about 75 - 80.  I find
higher speeds that than irritating mostly because of engine RPM with
the gear/tire combo I have, and the fact that I'm no longer 25 :-)  My
personal speed limit is around 100 (law permitting, of course, officer)
simply because most *other* drivers are not prepared to deal with
another car going that fast.  Even the Greenbrier is fine at 70.
Again, brakes up to snuff, good shocks, alignment, tires, and nothing
worn out in the suspension.

--Bryan