<VV> Corvair speeds---considering

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 10 17:11:57 EST 2006

Hey gang,
  I'll have to go with Bryan and the guys on the speed issue. When I'm in Orange Crush doing 85, the ride is much noisier and seems to be much faster than in my 2002 Dakota.  In the truck, I have much better insulation and noiseproofing, the engine is turning slower with a "less sporty" exhaust, and my head is twice as high off the road. The crashworthy questions always will go to newer cars, but I feel safer in a Corvair than the earlier Mustangs, now that I know nothing is there to stop the gas tank from exploding into the interior in a rear-ender. In general, it took a lot of yours to make cars a lot safer.
  When it comes to handling, I would rather be in a '68 Monza with everything working well than in most any other car with loose steering, worn shocks or tires, questionable brakes, etc, regardless of the manufacturer, powered systems or age.
  In my first Corvair when it was still young, a '64 Monza/110/auto, I baffled a driving instructor with a left-hand turn in 4" of snow. The conversation went "Turnleftwhereherenow." I locked the brakes, spun the wheel, punched it and let go of the wheel, and that little car did the cleanest, sharpest 90-degree turn you've ever seen on city streets.