Fwd: <VV> Corvair speeds/turns in the snow

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Tue Jan 10 22:27:20 EST 2006

In a message dated 1/10/2006 5:12:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dreamwoodck at yahoo.com writes:

> In my first Corvair when it was still young, a '64 Monza/110/auto, I
> baffled a driving instructor with a left-hand turn in 4" of snow. The conversation
> went "Turnleftwhereherenow." I locked the brakes, spun the wheel, punched it
> and let go of the wheel, and that little car did the cleanest, sharpest
> 90-degree turn you've ever seen on city streets.

Deja Vu all over again.  During the blizzard of 1966 here outside D.C. (yes I
said blizzard--it does happen) I did the deliveries for a local pharmacy
(along with being a bellhop).  The front glass blew in at the pharmacy so they had
to come in to do some temporary repairs to close it up.  One of the
pharmacists made the mistake of answering the phone and the local hospital started
feeding them prescriptions because most every other pharmacy was closed or
couldn't deliver.  I got the Rambler American and '59 stick shift Chevy Biscayne
stuck eventually so I walked home to get my family's 61 700 4dr.  It went
everywhere.  I delivered prescriptions until past midnight.  I did a lot of throttle
turns that night.  The wind and drifts were so bad that my tracks were gone by
the time I had made a delivery and was on the way back out.  Tips weren't bad
either.  One of my last adventures before joining the Army.