<VV> VV Extiction? no Corvair content

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Fri Jan 13 22:03:52 EST 2006

aeroned at aol.com wrote:

> Personally, I don't like the "forum" format and that is the primary reason I don't participate in them. I like seeing all the posts and having control over what I read and what I delete. With most forums, you have to look into at different categories. If you're not interested in a particular category, you wouldn't read the posts. You might miss a tidbit of info that you otherwise couldn't live without.

I like the "forum" format. I would use Joe's forum more, but by the time
I deal with all the VV e-mails in my inbox I need to get some work done.
:-)                            I disagree with forum being different
than e-mail reflector in that to get the tidbits one must read all the
e-mails or forum threads. If by subject line I do not think a post is
interesting, then I do not read it and do not acquire the tidbit of
info. The exact same happens with the subject line of the e-mails. Only
in digest form where one must scroll through messages that the subject
line was unimportant would one stumble upon tidbits hidden in odd subjects.

When I first got on VV it made no sense to me as I was used to forums.
Now that I am here I see how addicting it is. The inbox keeps you in
messages, where with a forum one must go and log on to view the
messages. Now, there are many styles of forums, and the best so far to
me (only an opinion here!)  is like "Breaktime" by Taunton books
[especially good site for construction questions about the Corvair
garage!]. This style forum only requires one to register to answer posts
or ask new questions, lurking can be done as a guest. So one can search
for previously given answers (how do you wire a three way switch?)
without registering. And yes, there are people there that answer:" see
post 5689.09 for previous discussion."

Now where was I going? Oh, I like both the e-mail reflector and forum
styles, so I wouldn't change either web site for me. I can choose which
one meets my needs. I do not think one replaces the other.

I thank both VV and Virtual Corvair Club for being there for us.

Frank DuVal