<VV> RE: secondary lag

grant young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 15 08:05:16 EST 2006

In response to some discussion on secondary lag, here are some thoughts (it's too cold this morning in central FL - 38 - to hit the shop yet :-). The secondary carb has only one .020" accelerator pump squirter hole (unless from a smog engine, where it is probably missing). One can often improve secondary initial response (assuming the primaries are "dialed in") by drilling a second hole (like in the primary carb) of the same size or enlarging the hole to .030". I prefer drilling a second, because it gives better dispersion and is easier to close should you determine it is not correct for your engine and driving style (could also cause a bog or backfire, but not likely).
     Having no interest in starting a blog on whether secondary carbs should have accelerator pump cups, I will just say that (from my experience with several hundred of them) about 95+ percent have a passage drilled from the pump cavity to the needle cavity, and that the pump without a cup is not sufficient for a noticeable squirt. The pump and return and delay springs must be retained, however, because they help close the thorttle.
     I have also found a very few rare secondary carbs with power enrichment circuits which were not owner modifications.
The Carbmeister