<VV> RE: atlanta to buffalo

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sun Jan 15 14:09:45 EST 2006

>You probably already know that the most direct route would be I-85 out of
>Atlanta, to I-77 up to I-90

Just ran through my mapping program and from Atlanta, the I-77 route is
about 30 miles further. The problem is that Atlanta is so far west (further
west than Detroit) that to take 77 you have to come east clear to Charlotte
(which is almost directly south of Buffalo) then swing back west to
Cleveland, then east again to Buffalo. 79 looks a bit shorter since it hits
90 at Erie but all of the mountain driving makes it further yet, about 45
miles more than 75.

Depends on what you want, the Smokies and Appalachians are certainly pretty
mountains but if keeping one eye on the temp light and the other on semis
is not your idea of fun, once past the climb before Chattanooga, 75-71-90
is almost flat. Besides the Air Force Museum in Dayton is just a little out
of the way.

Padgett