<VV> Rebuild II

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Sun Jan 15 21:15:06 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----

> One of the valve cover bolts broke off in the head while I was trying
> to remove the cover when I started to do the second rebuild.
********
My favorite method to try first is to use a left handed ( reverse ) drill
bit ... this seems to add vibration to the stuck bolt, and many times it
will just walk itself back out.  I dont have good luck with "easy-outs"
which you would think would do the same thing ... but the revolving left
hand drill bit seems to have some magic power.
For your bolts, try about a 1/8 inch diameter.
***********
Speaking of magic, yes the "mag"nets do work, don[t forget you can also use
a magnetic oil drain plug; probably napa has them .....   another good place
for them is around your upper valve train ... but you will need to epoxy
them there .......     a cheap source of pretty strong magnets is to check
your local hobby shop for old racing r/c car electic motors ... each motor
has 2 pretty good ones.  Or tear-down computer hard drives, these magnets
are super strong ...   JB Weld Industrial is a very good epoxy for this ...

good luck with your car, and don[t get discouraged ... well, for long (g)
....  think of it as dating ...Boy meets Corvair ... Boy loses Corvair ...
etc. etc. ....

Reargards, ken campbell, iowuh guy