<VV> RE: YH Set up

grant young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 15 22:28:29 EST 2006

<<I have a 1965 Corsa Turbo, carter YE carb. Will someone give me SPECIFIC
directions on how to set it up properly, how to adjust it properly? Thanks
Roger>>
Briefly
1. adjust the metering rod to align with the bowl top if you don't have the
correct tool (who does, besides me :-)?
2. adjust the (correct) choke connector rod bend so as to have .033"
clearance at the throttle plate
3. adjust the choke plate to 3/8" open for hot start
4. adjust float to 5/8" level and 2 1/2" drop (make sure the needle contact
tang is almost flattened)
5. set the choke cover to the index mark or about 1/4 turn past contact
6. set the mixture needle to one turn out and the idle speed screw to one
turn in after contact for starters

The manual is "okay" except that the pictures show the throttle body gasket
and float from the earlier Corvette/Nash carbs. As noted in the manual, the
choke adjustments are sequential. The connector rod must be adjusted before
the choke housing tang or all is lost. It also does not mention that the
idle speed screw must be turned all the way out for the adjustments. If you
are lucky enough to get one of the cheaper kits that has a bunch of gaskets
you must use 1/4" of them (except on the 1962 carbs with the shorter choke
connector rods), or the adjustments are also for naught. Things that can
make running adjustments futile are a leaking choke housing O-ring, leaking
choke tubes, leaking turbo connector hose, and too much fuel pressure. By
far, I think the most critical adjustment is the initial throttle plate
setting, as the wrong gasket, link, or procedure will mess you up big time.
The Carbmeister
(Give me a call Monday if you need more details)