<VV> Rebuild II

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 16 17:51:44 EST 2006

Had a bad Corvair day today.  After all the blood, sweat, time and
money that I (and others) invested to get this engine rebuilt (twice)
not to mention the brake overhaul, gas tank replacement, and steering
system work, I've been gut punched by something as simple, yet
daunting, as a broken valve cover bolt broken off in the head that,
despite all of my efforts today (three trips to Home Depot, one to Auto
Zone, one to O'Reilly, and another to PEP Boys, five broken drill bits,
and two broken bolt extractors for a total of six hours labor) finds
the bolt (what's left of it) still firmly attached to the head and
apparently ready to resist all efforts to remove it short of drilling
it out and destroying the threads on the head in the process.

What kills me is that I asked my wife if we could have her mother watch
our son so I could have time to install the valve covers and do an oil
pressure check and then install the shrouds in anticipation of lighting
the engine.  When she gets home tonight from work, she'll ask, "Were
you able to finish what you wanted to do today?" and I'll say, "Well,
no I spent all day trying (unsuccessfully) to get a bolt (that's right,
one bolt) loose."  I have no idea what I'm going to tell my
mother-in-law so I won't look like a total dweeb.

So . . .

I've decided that I need a break.  I don't mind working hard, but when
I keep running into problems like this one today ( I could go on for
another couple of paragraphs of stories just like this one) that that
on the face of it seem rather simple, but just eat my lunch; it really
takes the wind out of my sails.

Hopefully, I'll find my "fourth" wind sometime this coming summer and
try to finish this project.  Until then, a huge THANK YOU, to all of
you who have given advise and support for the last two years.  I'd
never have gotten this far without you.

I'll be going off list for the interim, but feel free to reach me at :
contactsmu at sbcglobal.net

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
Corvairium //

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza sedan 110 (block together, pistons and
cylinders, and heads [both now deflashed] assembled and mounted)
Sierra Tan, originally (currently Copper) - Saddle, zero rust, PG, A/C,
original AM/FM, clock, tint, oil bath air filter, vertical bumper
guards, w/ 77K (and continuing to hold)
(Seemingly lifetime member of group red)