<VV> Rebuild II rusty fasteners

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Jan 17 08:28:59 EST 2006

BTDT. Working on older things always means dealing with broken
fasteners, it is just part and parcel of repair work. I would think even
west coasters have exhaust hardware rust together. The left handed drill
bits are especially helpful on moderately stuck bolts. You can get them
from the Snap-On-Tools truck jobber, just ask your friendly mechanic
shop when they will stop by again (typically every week). I'm sure other
cheaper sources exist, I just don't know them. With regular right hand
bits the object is to center punch the hole acurately and drill a small
(3/32") hole to get a center pilot going. Slow speed, lots of lube don't
push too hard and break the bit. Concentrate on getting the pilot hole
straight. For larger bolts, you could start larger (1/8"). Then step the
drill bit size up gradually until just the threads are left. sometimes
you can then uncoil the bolt threads leaving the hole threads. Sometimes
the hole threads do not live through this, then it is time to tap the
hole for a larger fastener. This is a last resort, but usually OK for
valve cover bolts. It would not be OK for head stud holes unless you
have a source for larger head studs! But, rather than larger fasteners,
I usually use Helicoils thread repair kits and use the original style
fasteners. Most extractors have a bad feature that they expand the
broken bolt to get a grip. This adds to the locking force. I avoid their
use.

Don't let this discourage you. Just be happy your are not doing it for a
living and having the customer balk : "what do you mean you are charging
me 4 hours to replace a valve cover gasket! The book only says a half
hour! Thief!"

Frank DuVal