<VV> Oil Pressure Problem solved, I hope

Cliff Tibbitts tibbitts at qx.net
Mon Jan 16 18:04:44 EST 2006

Thanks to the quick responses from Bob, Chuck, Mike and Andy, (I hope I
didn't miss anyone,) I managed to get the relief valve out and clean it.  It
was indeed stuck.  I used Simple Green to clean out most of the engine (back
in August when I tore the engine apart) as it wasn't really all that dirty I
blew out all the passages and cleaned and wiped everything, including the
relief valve.  I thought I oiled it as well but maybe not.  Anyway it was
definitely stuck.  The 3/8x24 tap was successful in removing the stuck
piston.  I cleaned it as well as I could with oily wet/dry 400 grit and
healthy doses of PB blaster.  It works well now.

The gauge I am using is an Auto Meter product.  It only has about a 140
degree sweep, with markings at 25, 40, 75 and 100, and hash marks
in-between, so I cannot tell you exactly how high the pressure was with the
stuck valve, but I can tell you it went over the 75 psi mark.  Now, I am
getting it to run just under the 50 psi mark.  I understand from some other
posts that 35-45 seems to be the range.  Correct me please, if I am
incorrect on that.

Anyway, that $60.00 oil pressure gauge just may have saved my engine.

Many thanks to all, and please keep up the good work.  This site is
invaluable, especially to us newcomers.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
with a feisty, oil spitting 140.