<VV> Carburetor Conundrum

Duane, Jim (US SSA) Jim.Duane at it.BAESystems.com
Wed Jan 18 16:26:17 EST 2006

Fuel line freeze-up?

Jim Duane
'66 180 Corsa CVT
Colonial Corvairs
CORSA

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of Tim Verthein
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 3:02 PM
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Carburetor Conundrum

Question for your carb jockeys out there....

Three days ago I was coerced into moving my 64 Monza outta our single
car garage so my wife's snowmobile could be worked on.  After sitting
about a month, and on a 25 degree day, she started up after three tries
and ran beautifully.  Figured as long as it was out I'd take it for a
spin, so let it warm up for a while, the took it on about a 10 mile
hiway drive. Parked it in the driveway and let her sit.

Today....three days later. it's 15 degrees. Car won't start.  Cranked
like crazy. Checked for spark. Knocked Ryan on his butt as the
screwdriver in the plug wire held near ground plan quickly turned into
spark thru oil and moisture soaked glove, thru Ryan in to ground.  He
reported spark was excellent.  Well, OK, then we better see if we have
gas. Plenty coming from the fuel line into the pressure regulator from
the electric fuel pump mounted up front.  OK, pulled the air cleaner and
actuated the throttle, expecting what I've always considered the
traditional "ssqquurriitt" of gas in the carbs from the accelerator
pumps. Nothing.  Now, I've never actually worked on a Corvair carb, but
I expected this squirt, but nothing.

So Ryan suggests a puff of starting fluid in each carb. We do this, it
starts right up and runs fine. 10 mile test drive went perfect.

My question is then, is is possible that neither of my accelerator pumps
are pumping? And that the car, in cold weather, counts on these squirts
of gas to get her going when it's cold? And once it's going, for some
reason, I don't notice that they don't work?  I've noticed no faltering,
etc... as we drive.  Not all last summer, or today on our hiway test
drive (which also included whipping some donuts on an ice/snow covered
empty church parking lot whoohooooo!). Am I such a conservative driver
that I never noticed? Car is a 110/4 speed. BTW, for the record, the
chokes are working perfectly.  It's been harder to start on cold days
last fall too, but still managed to get her going in a couple tries.
And I did start 3 days ago, after three 20 second cranks...but it was 15
or so degrees warmer and in the garage, as opposed to sitting in the
driveway.

Whatdayaall think?

Tim in Bovey

===
You *can* repair a flip-flop with a capacitor!
===