<VV> Carburetor Conundrum

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Wed Jan 18 16:52:31 EST 2006

    Have you been using an isopropanol type "dry gas" in your fuel system on
a regular basis??
    Frank Burkhard

In a message dated 1/18/06 3:03:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
minoxphotographer at yahoo.com writes:
Today....three days later. it's 15 degrees. Car won't start.  Cranked
like crazy. Checked for spark. Knocked Ryan on his butt as the
screwdriver in the plug wire held near ground plan quickly turned into
spark thru oil and moisture soaked glove, thru Ryan in to ground.  He
reported spark was excellent.  Well, OK, then we better see if we have
gas. Plenty coming from the fuel line into the pressure regulator from
the electric fuel pump mounted up front.  OK, pulled the air cleaner
and actuated the throttle, expecting what I've always considered the
traditional "ssqquurriitt" of gas in the carbs from the accelerator
pumps. Nothing.  Now, I've never actually worked on a Corvair carb, but
I expected this squirt, but nothing.

So Ryan suggests a puff of starting fluid in each carb. We do this, it
starts right up and runs fine. 10 mile test drive went perfect.