<VV> Carburetor Conundrum

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Wed Jan 18 22:41:49 EST 2006

>So Ryan suggests a puff of starting fluid in each carb. We do this, it
>starts right up and runs fine. 10 mile test drive went perfect.

Have seen this before and is not a frozen line, if the plugs are good it
means the accelerator pump(s) are not working. Pour a half ounce of gas in
each throat and the same thing will happen. Believe it or don't but
gasoline, particularly cold gasoline is hard to ignite. You need lots. Was
told once that with a really cold engine it would take near enough gas to
cause hydrolock to flood it.

You also have the issue that slow cold cranking will not pull gas into the
throat, again you need the pumps to be in new and supple condition. Old and
brittle and they will work sorta when warmed but not cold. Starter fluid or
some gas in the throat gets the engine spinning fast enough for the venturi
effect to pull more gas in (and is really what the choke does, increases
the pressure differential between the venturi and the bowl vents - why the
choke plate plate does not cover the vents - few think about *why* a choke
works but putting your hand over the whole throat is really not a good idea).

Starting a cold engine that has been sitting a while is usually for me a
two step process. First crank with the ignition off until the oil light
goes off then wait a few seconds. Pump the pedal four or six times then
take your foot off the gas and crank again for 5 seconds. Repeat until
starts. Modern FI cars "rattle the injectors" on key on and increase the
pulse width for a cold start to accomplish the same thing.

GM had a problem with 3800s firing in cold weather and the TSB advised to
turn the key to run for two seconds then turn all the way to off then turn
the key to run, wait two seconds and start. If it started right up GM had a
replacement PROM that would rattle the injectors twice on key-on. If that
didn't work you took a hard look at the fuel pump relay but that is another
story.

Padgett