<VV> Corvair running on E-85

Paul Fox paulvair at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 20 09:26:08 EST 2006

Group,
           A gas station just started selling E-85 here in Indy. I thought I'd give it a try in my beater 110 hp Corsa. I knew that I'd have to change the carbs jetting. But I put some in with the stock jets (.050 or #50 in 63 carbs with no power valves) just to see how it would work. It displayed signs of being to lean. But it ran a little better as it warmed up (the engine and the weather).
          I called my engineer dad who did a little reserch and figureing and came up with .063 for a jet size for me.I just drilled the jets with a 1/16 drill bit. I knew I would need more accel.pump too so I drilled the holes to .025.
           The octane ratring on the pump was 105 so I cranked the timing up to 25 degrees from about 12. There is no ping or knock at all.
         So far it runs great. I'll keep everyone up dated on mileage ect. as I use it. I was getting about 18mpg around town with the 3.55 rear 4sd. transaxle. This is with a very tired engine.
         I think this stuff might be fairly good race gas at $2.11 a gallon.
                Paul Fox