<VV> Re: Corvair running on E-85

Jim Burkhard burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Fri Jan 20 20:54:06 EST 2006

Hey Paul-

Interesting stuff!  Can you let us know how long (miles and
days) it takes before you have to change the carbs, fuel
lines, tank, and sender because of corrosion? Oh yeah, if
you are running a mechanical pump, the elastomers in the
diaphragm will not survive, so carry a spare, a big fire
extinguisher, and watch the "oil" level in the  crankcase.
If it's an electric pump, corrosion will probably be the
death of it.

I'm an engineer who works for the world's largest supplier
of automotive fuel systems.  Even E20 (20% Ethanol) requires
special attention to materials throughout. With 85% ethanol,
you really need to seriously bring out the ethanol-proof
parts -- lots of 300 series stainless everywhere and special
material gaskets, hoses, etc. It's not a minor problem at
all.  I can't think of *any* OEM Corvair parts in contact
with fuel that will be happy with E85 for long. They just
didn't design the parts with that in mind.

If you are going to quote fuel mileage to people on the
list, it would be most helpful if you could do the math and
compare with gasoline on a "miles per dollar" basis (or
furnish your E85 mpg values with the current price/gallon).
The low heating value and much lower stoichiometric ratio
(i.e. you have to run much bigger jets) screw up making any
direct comparison in terms of miles by gallon.  I can tell
you that at $2.11 per gallon, although undoubtedly
subsidized heavily, the economics are wholly uncompetitive
with gasoline.  You are going to find your miles/$ fuel cost
going up significantly. Those 0.063" jets are going to flow
plenty of the stuff!  :-)

For people thinking of running it as a race fuel (as Paul
suggests):  Yes, it can do this well (better than as a road
fuel in fact), but unless you have really built the fuel
system (from tank to carbs) to handle the high ethanol
content, you are going to soon have trouble. If you don't
want to run ethanol-proof materials, plan on flushing the
fuel system with gasoline after every race.  I have friends
who run modified midgets (motorcycle engines in a dirt track
car) and that is their regular routine.

Keep us posted on your results, Paul.  I'm curious how many
miles and/or days (it will probably be mostly time based)
before you have problems.

best of luck,

Jim Burkhard