<VV> Weird ignition troubble

Daniel Monasterio dmonasterio at megared.net.mx
Fri Jan 20 16:47:32 EST 2006

     I have had a long time ignition troubble that have forced me to retard
time to about 8 deg. in my 67 Cpe. (140 engine, 0330 dist., 304 camshaft,
premium gas, Pertronix II ). It doesn't sound like far advanced time but,
similar.
     Well, today, in a attempt to check how well every piston/chamber was
working, I warmed engine, attached a tachometer and (engine running at 900
rpm) began to dissconect plug wires at distributor cap to notice how much
rpm dropped without every certain spark plug working. On all, except number
one, the droppnig was of about 150 rpm (750 on tach.) but while
dissconecting number one, the engine shutted down. Tried to restart it (all
wires on) and it started after a few seconds. Checked again all wires
(leaving number one at the end of test) and when dissconected number one,
engine shutted down again. Put all wires in place and, this time there were
no more ignition. After several checkings and failed attempts to restart
engine, I took off the Pertronix ignitor, installed points and it worked
again. Made the original balance testing and this time I got about the same
rpm dropping for all cylinders. Pertronix II ?... went South.
     The thing that does make no sense to me is: why engine shutted down
twice at dissconnecting number one wire with Pertronix II, damaging it ?
This has been an usual testing I used for years to check how well is every
cylinder working.
     BTW, coil is matching Flamethrower with straight 12V. source.

     Any toughts ?... thanks in advance for every neurone working on this.

     Daniel