<VV> Buick 215 troubleshooting question (No Corvair)

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Fri Jan 20 22:27:38 EST 2006

Hi gang... I have a really stupid question... but since you all may have
run into this combination before, possibly somebody can suggest where to
look next.

Subject is a 1963 Buick 215 with a warm cam, roller rockers, headers,
etc and a Carter AFB 400cfm on an aftermarket manifold. Stock 1963 Buick
ignition (except no vacuum advance, so I assume a recurved dizzy),
manual transmission.

Car sat for several years, started and driven only occasionally since 1990.

Car starts and idles fine, but as soon as you place any load on the
engine with light throttle it falters and bucks. Put your foot into it
and it catches and pulls away very strongly. Driving along, if you give
it just a little throttle, it bucks and falters... give her more
throttle and she runs great.

First thing I did was to pull the carb off. The carb looked nice and
clean, but it appeared there was some water in the gas.  Just to be
sure, I sent the carb out to a local pro for him to check it over and
rebuild. He reported that it was nearly new, had a little sediment here
and there, but overall looked good. He went ahead and rebuilt and
adjusted it for me.

I drained the tank on the car, flushed it and the lines out good, and
put fresh fuel in. I popped the distributor and the points looked nice
and clean, cap and rotor nearly near, and the advance mechanism seemed
to be free and clean.

Put everything back together and she runs EXACTLY the same way.

It would seem to me that possibly the primaries aren't flowing enough
fuel...and only when you get the fuel from the secondaries does it pull
well. BUT, even if the carb had never been set up for the engine, you'd
think off the shelf it would run better than that... and if the car was
running _only_ on the fuel from the secondaries, it would still be way
lean (which it does not seem to be).

I have the same basic carb on a Dodge 273 and that engine has a lot more
low end than top end... no carb worries at all.

Is there something else I should consider before replacing the carb? I'm
REALLY thinking ignition... but due to the engine placement (Esprit S1),
it's very difficult to check timing and advance. I know from my British
cars that 90% of carb problems are really Lucas in nature...

Thanks!
Bill Elliott