<VV> Needed an interpreter, now need experience

Chris Mills mygroups at frontiernet.net
Fri Jan 20 22:42:23 EST 2006

A nice (cheap) upgrade in the VW world is to add relays to your headlights
so the headlight switch is carrying only the current required to close
relays which actually switch the power on and off at the headlight. The
gain is a voltage increase at the bulbs and longer headlight switch life.
I did this upgrade on my VW Westfalia and would say it is worth the
trouble though I cannot give any numbers to back it up. Relays came from
Parts Express cheap. Carry a couple spares b/c they are cheap. Radio Shack
has them too but a Radio Shack prices.

The Daniel Stern website has the schematics and if you like to buy kits,
they sell the kits.

I'm running H4 headlights in my VW and like them much better than the old
sealed beams. Can't tell you where I got them from many years ago. I
retained the city light function (wired to the parking lights) just for
the fun of it.

Chris in Cookeville
'78 VW Westy with a Corvair implant