<VV> Needed an interpreter, now need experience

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Fri Jan 20 22:53:22 EST 2006

VW/Audi headlamp switch wiring is absolutely horrible... try to run
anything more than stock voltage though one and it fries. The voltage
drop on my quattro was 2 full volts! On my Westie the lights were so dim
I didn't even bother measuring the voltage... and went straight from the
original sealed beams to E-code H4's with relays... lighting was
improved so much I think I wasted my time on the big Bosch driving
lamps... I really no longer need them!

I don't see the voltage drop on a Corvair being anything close to a
VW/Audi, but relays are never a bad idea...

The big 7" H4's are common and cheap... the 5's are more difficult. If
searching Ebay check "BMW" since most used the same 4 headlamp system as
a Corvair. I've been waiting to see a Corvair sporting a BMW "angel
eyes" system... the city light is built into the headlamp rim.

On my wife's Corvair, I only went to sealed beam halogens and that was a
sufficient upgrade. On mine, I used halogen low beams and lucked on a
set of Carrello H-1's for high... really lights up the night on bright...

Bill