<VV> Re2: Re: Corvair running on E-85

Jim Burkhard burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Fri Jan 20 23:15:04 EST 2006

Paul Fox wrote:
> Jim,
>        I've heard the gloom and doom stuff before.

Heh, heh ... I *often* hear it from my wife who is a fuel
injector design engineer that actually has to design stuff
to survive the durability tests under ethanol.  Nasty stuff.

 >  But what the hey, the
> car's an old beater that sat all summer I might as well do something
> with it.

Well, as long as you know the risks going in.  For safety's
sake, please keep an eye on and rubber fuel lines sections
and the mechanical fuel pump (if you have one).  E85 will
turn most rubbers to jello over time. I was serious about
the fire extinguisher too...

>         It did sit for about a week with the E-85 fuel in it before I
> made the mods to the carbs. Everything inside the carbs looked good when
> I took them apart.

It will probably take longer than that. How long, I dunno.
Like I said, it will be interesting to hear from you on it :-)

>         One thing I wonder about is what kind of spark plug color should
> I have.And weather the carbon build-up will reduce over time.

Carbon buildup on the plugs? I would *guess* that the plugs
will stay cleaner than on a gasoline engine, but if your
plugs are carbony from oil (and not gasoline) it's not going
to matter too much. You said it was an old and beat engine
so if high oil consumption and oil-fouled plugs are a
problem, this might help a little, but won't be a cure all.

>Is cold
> weather start up going to be a problem? It has been unseasonly warm
> around here. Time should tell.

Yeah, cold starting will probably be more difficult. That's
a normal byproduct of alcohol fuel (methanol as well).  In
fact, cold startability is the main reason what they sell is
E85 (85% ethanol) instead of E100 (100% ethanol). In Brazil,
new E100 cars are commonly sold, but they have a small
(washer bottle sized) gasoline fuel minitank underhood, that
is just used for starting. Once the car is started, the ECM
quickly switches the injectors to fuel from the main (E100)
tank.  And there's a second reason that E85 is the
"standard" in the US rather than E100 ... when there is a
fire, you can see the flames much more eaisly than with
E100, which burns nearly invisibly. Ever see a methanol fuel
pit fire in auto racing?  That's about the same deal with
E100. the 15% gasoline in E85 gives the flame a little more
luminosity.  The main reason is cold weather starting, though.

Keep us posted, Paul!

Jim Burkhard