<VV> Headlight lens? No Corvair

Ed Dowds ed_dowds at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 23 11:35:31 EST 2006

Chuck-
I had this problem on my dad's 1998 Taurus. It had had some body work done
and I think the shop cleaned overspray off the lense with laquer thinner. I
first tried hand polishing with some Turtle Wax. That helped a little so I
knew I was on the right track. I switched to a SLIGHTLY more abrasive wax
and polished with a wool pad on an electric drill on a slow speed. I worked
very slowly to avoid overheating the lense. Once the lense looked good I
finished with a gloss polish. I would say it ended up at about 95% of
original. I think a little more time would have made it unnoticable.
Chrysler products have had this fogging problem for years. The first really
bad ones were the mini-vans when they switched to composite lights from
sealed beams. I THINK the problem is on the outer surface so I would try the
polish method. I don't think you can make it worse! Good luck!
                                   Ed