<VV> Need an interpreter, please

mmcguire at hiwaay.net mmcguire at hiwaay.net
Mon Jan 23 12:44:10 EST 2006

Humm,

Many good points...  On voltage, I read on a website the bulb design voltage is
13.5 volts.  So, the best thing to do is see where you are with the bulb
voltage.  If you are down 12-12.5 volts, you are only getting about 50% the
output intended.

As you get older, you need more light to see the same things.  But as Seth
pointed out, it needs to be on the road and not in the eyes of oncoming traffic.
 E-code lights are sharp cuttoff lense design were the USA spec is a defuse
round pattern which probably made sense with the big old boats in the 50's.

I'm running 100/130's on my daily driver (old 300E) and it is amazing with
relays and big wiring.  I measured 8 times the light on the road as the stock
units.  You must have a glass lense and reflector to handle more wattage and
even the H-4 plug must be better than plastic ones.  I think standard bulbs are
still a huge difference- wiring and relays would make a big difference on a
corvair.  Seems like the internal reg GM alternators put out a higher voltage...

Michael