<VV> Headlamps--back to Corvairs

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Thu Jan 26 13:15:57 EST 2006

At 04:24 hours 01/25/2006, Chuck Kubin wrote:

>   Now, I need:
>   Even though I didn't ask for it before, I now need to know if any
> of you have a high opinion on something that works good on your
> CORVAIR that I didn't mention in the first paragraph. If I missed
> it before, sorry, as I've said I lost it in the flurry.  I'd
> appreciate an off-forum note with specifics of what you recommend.
> Please don't send anything refering to what you like or don't like
> about drivers coming at you or what you use on your wife's Subaru,
> because we've been on that for a week now and IDGS. No square pegs
> in the bezels' round holes, no illegal off-road lights, no semi marker lights.

All I did years ago was go to Advance Store and buy Sylvania halogen
high beams and put them in the Spyder.

I don't care what people say about Sylvania bulbs or their sealed
beam tech (whatever these were, they had an individual bulb inside
the sealed glass assembly) or anything else regarding what actually
fits the bezel, these high beam lights made a BIG difference in
lighting the road and I never had another issue with being able to
see ahead when I flicked the brights on.

Everyone else can argue how inferior the sealed beams are to their
hearts content.    I somehow managed to grow up with Tung-Sol T3
sealed beams in most everything we ever drove up through the 70s-80s
and I managed to keep from ass-ending the guy in front and avoided
the group of nuns standing in the road around the corner as well as
the meteor crater blocking all 4 lanes, not to mention that family of
Bigfoot snacking on road kill.

Sold the Spyder and the Sylvanias (which were still working after
several years in spite of how they're supposed to die in short order)
and went back to the FLAPS and got a couple more of the hotrod bulbs
for the ragtop, still in it and they still work.  Might have to load
up the '60 with some Sylvania hotrod lamps even though it's hardly
able to get out of its own way, much less over-run its own headlights.

I'll continue to use what's available that doesn't require that I
whittle on the car although running stronger wire and using a relay
isn't what I regard as "cutting".

Your own mileage may vary.

It's worth remembering that Eurospec headlights are en vogue there
because many drivers there are maniacs behind the wheel and even in
city driving at nights when the local authorities aren't in evidence
they will hit off some truly impressive speeds on back streets.

All you need do is take a few rides in a taxi in Europe sometime, or
spend a little time walking around the park and watch the traffic on
side streets to know what I'm talking about.

Drive a Corvair like most people will drive a Corvair today and the
factory style headlights will do an adequate job.   Sure, upgrade the
bulbs and improve what's there, but debating their effectiveness as
to what's on a rally race Subaru is kinda pointless because they
aren't the same.

Somebody who provides a straight answer as to what you can walk into
Pep Boys (in spite of their inflated prices) or NAPA (my kind of
place) and pick up off the shelf that will make a difference without
costing half a week's pay is much appreciated.

tony..