<VV> Headlamps--back to Corvairs

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 25 19:24:33 EST 2006

Hey gang,
  I've been slogging through all the mail on this topic and I must admit I am lost, not for a lack of information but because of too much.
  AS THIS TOPIC RELATES TO CORVAIRS I've gathered this information:
  1) Old school is best ON A CORVAIR. T4s are really PRETTY INADEQUATE FOR CORVAIRS by today's standards. If you want good light ON A CORVAIR without drilling the bumpers for foggers or halogens, go with the old standbys of Bosch, Cibie and Flamethrowers that fit the stock buckets.
  2) There are probably others using some sort of a plug-in module or bulb and socket that will fit inside the stock, round bezel on a CORVAIR. Some of you believe when properly chosen and aimed, they are the best lighting to put on a CORVAIR without blinding other drivers. I lost them in the flurry.
  3) Wire a larger-than-stock hot lead from the fuse box to the lamps and use your CORVAIR'S  headlamp and dimmer switch to toggle relays, thus protecting the switch and original wiring from the higher amperage.  This is a smart idea.
  4) The crystal lamps I spotted on eBay and caused me to pose the question to the group designed for use in Euope and 1958-1967 CORVAIRS are crap on a CORVAIR despite a manufacturer's wanting us to buy them. They are also ineffective for the purpose of putting more light on the road, unless you want to show how big a moron you are by putting blue lights on your CORVAIR.
  5) Any thread beginning with a reasonable question will deteriorate into something that a) has nothing to do with CORVAIRS and b) won't be laberled as such.

  Now, I need:
  Even though I didn't ask for it before, I now need to know if any of you have a high opinion on something that works good on your CORVAIR that I didn't mention in the first paragraph. If I missed it before, sorry, as I've said I lost it in the flurry.  I'd appreciate an off-forum note with specifics of what you recommend. Please don't send anything refering to what you like or don't like about drivers coming at you or what you use on your wife's Subaru, because we've been on that for a week now and IDGS. No square pegs in the bezels' round holes, no illegal off-road lights, no semi marker lights.

  Chuck Kubin
  LIFC Engineering Team