<VV> RE: Barrett-Jackson (No Corvair)

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Fri Jan 27 18:14:30 EST 2006

Harry Yarnell wrote:

>I have a hard time believing any of this is real. People with money don't go around throwing money away foolishly.

Actually, they sometimes do. Their version of "mad money" is a bit
different than ours. While I've done something stupid like bought a TV I
didn't need on impulse for a few hundred dollars, they can do the same
thing for $100k without flinching.

> Sure, they can indulge themselves to spend over and above the accepted valve of tangeble items if they REALLY want them, but this nonsense of paying millions for an automobile that was made in 50's or 60's, boggles the mind. Maybe they'll get their jollys, and put it in next years BJ auction and make MORE money.

Some of it is like gambling. On another list (with the same sort of B-J
bashing going on) a member actually owned up to having purchased a GTO
Judge convertible for something like $185,000. His reasoning was (1) he
really wanted one and (2) it was rare (30 he had the cash and (4) enough
of a B-J vehicle that he could show it for a year or two and at the
worst break even... but more likely make a decent profit. (Unlike the
folks that like the attention of the TV cameras and the auction
assistants, he bought by phone... I think for that sort of premium I'd
want the TV time!;-) )

The flaw I find with his reasoning is that he could have likely
purchased the same basic car NOT at B-J for half the B-J price and then
made even more money. His response was that a car that's sold at B-J for
$XX has that "base" to fall back on while a non-B-J car might never even
attain that $XX. Let's just say I disagree... but then he had $185k to
throw at a car and I don't...

>I watched a fair amount of this auction on SPEED, mainly for entertainment, but wanted to see the GM motor transport for the GM Motorama World of Wheels shows from the '50's; to see what it would bring. It went for $4.1 MILLION dollars. The buyers/sellers premium alone was around 3/4 million dollars!
>
>Like I said, entertainment.

I think it's fun entertainment (and one of the best shows on SPEED). I
actually had the opportunity to attend last year...then thought better
of it and watched from my hotel room just across town. If I had it to do
over again I would have gone just for the experience. But actually BUY
anything there? HA!

Bill