<VV> LED Tail Lights

Wade Halsey hihal at adelphia.net
Fri Jan 27 20:35:44 EST 2006

Smitty Smith wrote:

>   ------------------------------------------
>   Smitty says:  Haven't any of you guys tried the cluster of LEDs mounted on a regular bayonet bulb base (like 1157s have)?Seems to me that would be bright enough.

Sure, I have been using 1157 LEDs in a LM for about a year. You have to modify the tail light
housings so the light is pointed through the lens. The regular bulbs reflect light off the
housing interior, the LED does not.

You have to use a variable load flasher because the LED bulbs use much less current and the
stock flasher behaves like there is a burned out bulb in the circuit. I tried using LEDs in the
parking lights along with the tail lights and even the variable flasher wouldn't work the turn
signals with that combination.

The light output is subjectively "somewhat brighter".

Wade Halsey