<VV> CAR UPDATES PROJECTS FOR

Rick & Janet Norris rickjanet at charter.net
Sun Jan 29 10:00:22 EST 2006

Well....
I almost sold the V8 Vair.
I was contacted by an interested party who saw it on the internet and he
contacted me by email from California.
For some time now I had been dissappointed in the degrading performance of
the aftermarket fuel injection set up I was running. Last year I didn't
drive it at all and the year before the only time I drove it was at the
Convention in Lexington so I was ready to get rid of it.
I made him a good offer "as is" and I explained the problem with the fool
injection. I also warned that this is not a car for the mechanically
challenged.
I also explained I was thinking of removing the fool injection system and
going to a carb and HEI ignition so it would be driveable without having to
reprogram it every mile or two!
The potential buyer asked if I would do the conversion for an agreed on
extra to be added to the purchase price which I agreed to.
To make a weird story short I did the conversion and it ran so nice I
decided I liked the car again and it was not for sale...at least not at the
price I originally offered.
What I did was, everything needed to convert to a carb without having to
remove the intake manifold, which is a regular Weiand Team G open plenum
with injector bungs machined in to it and four cast in mounting posts for
the fuel rails. Also I did not want to destroy the manifold because I want
to sell the system when I do get it all removed. The trigger wheel for the
computer ignition is still mounted behind the crank pulley and not easily
removed in a Crown setup.
So...I just installed a Holley Street Avenger four holer carb. Sounds like a
bolt on deal huh? Not in my case. The carb has to be mounted 180 degrees
from the normal position to accomodate the Morse type throttle cable which
operates in a push mode, same as the throttle body did for the fool
injection. A little trimming of the unwanted bell crank parts was needed and
I had to add a 1" spacer to raise the carb above the fuel rail posts as I
didn't want to cut them off. This was caused by the bracket I use to mount
the Morse cable fittings. Also it would have interfered with the vacuum
advance on the side of the HEI. Those suckers are big!
I solved the problem of plugging the injector bungs by tapping the very
bottom of the holes for a 5/16" bolt and with a dab of RTV it worked well
and would allow the hole to be cleaned up for later use with a drill and not
mar the machined surface that the injector O-ring seals on.

The fuel pump needed to be changed from the high pressure injection unit to
something a carb would like. I happen to still have the electric Holley Red
pump I bought years ago when I first started the V8 project. I tried to sell
it several times over the years. It is finally doing it's thing on the V8
Vair.

For the ignition I chose a D.U.I or Davis Unified Ignition from Performance
Distributors. It has a hotter coil and was custom curved for my
engine/trans/cam and car weight. They also offer a set of Live Wires killer
plug wires which I had to have. They are color matched to the blue HEI cap!
I think that's worth ten more HP!
I will say this about the Holley Street Avenger carb. Except for bolting it
on, I did not make any adjustments to it. The engine fired right up and
after warm up and setting the timing it idled perfectly and runs very well.
Truly as advertised.
I had not set a distributor in a small block Chevy for longer than I care to
admit but I hadn't lost my touch. When I put the timing light on it I was
off by three degrees! And I got all the plug wires on the right terminals!

It really sounded good sitting there just ticking over with that nice
Flowmaster sound eminating from the twice pipes.

I will chose a good dual plane intake to install later on and remove the
rest of the hardware from the fool injection system plus some other mods I
have in mind but at the present time the shop is occupied by the S/A/T
Corvair project.
What is that you ask? You'll just have to wait to see.
Dontcha just love Corvair intregue??

Rick Norris
First President CORSA 1971
Email rickjanet at charter.net