<VV> Strange power loss problem

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 29 12:10:59 EST 2006

Failed Petronix unit: I failed the one I had in my '69 conv. My symptoms were initially a lack of power on acceleration (like a misfire) The next set of symptoms were a very big loss of power on acceleration. When cold the engine ran fine. As it heated up, the power loss was increased, till it would not start when shut down when hot.

   When it cooled off it started immediately, but would fail as the unit got hot. I ran a bunch of tests to see if it was the unit and the cure was either points or a new Petronixs. The new Petronix ll is now run with the proper 12+ volts and coil. No problems.

   I would look for the obvious. Did I read right that you replaced with standard points? I keep a complete set of points in all my Vairs. My wifes '69 daily driver and my '66 daily.

Keith Onchuck <keitho64 at yahoo.com> wrote:
  OK looking for a little more advice. I replaced the
plugs, cap rotor, wires, points, condensor, coil and
the problem still exists. Lets just say I took the
shotgun approach on the ignition system since I
haven't done anything in 9 years. The timing is on, I
have cleaned the advance weights to ensure that is
working and the vacuum advance is working. I am going
to run a compression test next. Is it possible for
the cam gear to have slipped enough to cause a
problem? I think my diagnostic skills are suffering
since the car has been running so good for so long.

The only other possibility I see is blockage in the
fuel delivery system.

If you have any other ideas or see areas that I missed
I am all ears.

Sorry if I sound like I am rambling but I am very
confused about what is wrong.

Keith

---