<VV> rust-free western bodies

Kent Sullivan kentsu at corvairkid.com
Sun Jan 29 13:10:12 EST 2006

Matt hit it on the nose here. Additionally, probably 90% of the true "rust
free Western bodies" I've seen were cars that were not abandoned in fields
but instead were some approximation of running condition. While many Western
areas don't get much rain, 30 years of "not much rain" into a convertible
with a shredded top or a coupe with its windows down is not going to be
pretty.

My '66 500 coupe came from Palmdale, CA, just north of LA. I paid around
$1500 for it and drove it 1400 miles or so home to the Seattle area in 1995.
There was no rust on it anywhere, including inside the A pillars. That is
the type of rust-free Western body that is actually out there, in fairly
large numbers. Especially 500s and Monzas since people are more likely to
hold onto Spyders and Corsas.

Here's a recent example from someone in my local club:

"I have a '66 Monza coupe, 140, 4 speed. Never rusted, very good condition
overall. It's been sitting, garaged for years. So, it needs brakes and gas
tank flushed. Carbs recently rebuilt, engine turns over good, but hasn't
been started in ?? years.
Some body work needed at the top of right rear quarter due to mild accident.
Red with black interior. $1000. No less. Pictures available via e-mail.
Steve Wren 425-830-5102 or  motomachine at comcast.net."

These kind of ads happen CONSTANTLY out this way.

I've lived here 16 years. I am still amazed at the overall condition of
vehicles on the West coast as compared to where I grew up (Indiana).

--Kent