<VV> rust-free western bodies

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 29 23:15:04 EST 2006

Hey Kent, Matt and all,

When I came to VV for opinions on whether to section
and rebuild the results of three hit and runs, rebody
the otherwise mostly-restored car, or strip it to put
good parts on a new shell, some of you told be to blow
it off and find a "rust-free western car." I also
mentioned I'm in Denver. I know many of you aren't
familiar with geography west of the California state
line, but there are A LOT of miles betweeen here and
there.
I can't just fly out or drive for 3-4 days every time
a promising car surfaces. All the ads in the world for
solid, running cars in southern California, Nevada and
Arizona for less than $2K mean nothing to me. You all
realize I still have to get there and get the car
home. You also realize that a solid, runnning car that
will safely and reliably make the trip back is
probably too good for me to salvage for just the body.
If I had that kind of time and money, I'd restore
something more valuable than Corvairs. How far and how
much SHOULD I invest when all I need is a workable
body?
I don't need more projects. I need to solve the
problems that keep my current ones off the road.
At the end of the day, it is cheaper and easier to
find something with an at least acceptable body
LOCALLY than to find and truck in a perfect "rust-free
western body" from another state. I'll take Steve
Wren's ad for the rust-free coupe with the 140 as an
example. That would be perfect if it was several
hundred miles closer, and I could be sure that after
not running for "??" years it wouldn't tie up days and
dollars making it roadworthy and reliable.

Chuck Kubin