<VV> rust-free western bodies

Kent Sullivan kentsu at corvairkid.com
Mon Jan 30 02:09:33 EST 2006

Chuck, I sort-of understand your point but not really.

The rust-free '66 500 coupe I bought in 1995 had a VERY tired early 102 HP
engine. That piece of junk is long gone. It got me home from Palmdale, CA
though, which is about 1150 miles according to a mapping program I just
used. Denver to Seattle is about the same distance, roughly 1300 miles. So
it's not out of question for you to make a trip to the West coast to get a
rust-free running car. A flight might be spendy one-way but the bus is an
option. I've done that and it's not the most comfortable thing but it is
economical.

While I don't recommend that anyone buy a questionably-safe car and drive it
for 1000+ miles, it can be done, if you find out the details of the
mechanical condition. I did it. Others have done it. And based on the amount
of money I would have spent fixing the body of a non-rust-free car, I came
out money ahead even by dumping the entire powertrain that was in the car.
(The tranny was a PG, which I didn't want, and the diff was worn out.)

If I did bodywork myself, it might be another story.

Thanks.