<VV> rust-free western bodies

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Mon Jan 30 10:10:56 EST 2006

Probably are as many as "rust-free southern cars". I drove several thousand
miles from Myrtle Beach to Naples looking before I bought mine. Of course
what I was looking for was a running and presentable car on a limited
budget. The one I found in Maryland still has some mechanical issues and is
far from a show car but is what I wanted and can fire up at any time and
take anywhere.

Right now am limiting it to within the AAA 100 mile (century plus) towing
though. There are some cosmetic issues I will need to deal with someday but
suspect a 95 hp (to run on 87 PON) exchange engine is the next step. Have a
pair of heads so really almost any engine will do  but have made the
mistake before of pulling a car apart that did not get out of Group Red for
years and will not do that again. When the engine comes out, another will
be waiting to go in.

Need to remember that Corvairs are at least 37 years old and were built
before modern anti-corrosion methods were available. Things are waaaay past
their design life.

While a rust-free car is possible, you are going to need to forget any
location that is green and has trees over ten feet tall. My travel takes me
fairly often to the Richland/Pasco area in central Washington state and
that is high desert with less than 5" of rain a year. If anywhere, that is
where you would find what you are looking for. In California, Bakersfield
or Sacremento would be good places as would anywhere in Nevada but not
necessarily in the plains states. Unfortunately there are also not many
people in these places and cars there now may not have been there originally.

So while there are definitely places to avoid since any Corvair was
probably street driven and left out in its first years, just being from a
salt-free state does not mean rust free (and any state with an oceanview is
going to have problem areas along the coast - one reason I live in Orlando
but in the 1960s, there was not much population in Florida except near the
coasts). Any car that has been sitting in anything with a dirt floor may
have issues. You just have to look and take your chances.

Padgett