<VV> LED taillights

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Mon Jan 30 17:41:24 EST 2006

By the way, here's the calculator for determining LED resistors:

_http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Bowden/led.htm_
(http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Bowden/led.htm)

In a message dated 1/30/2006 1:22:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
larry at forman.net writes:

>  Well, almost. You'll need to find a flasher that'll work properly on  the
> lower current. They're out there, and are used on the cheesy LED  brake
lights.

Hi John,
MANY thanks for all of us on this good  info.  As for the issue of the
flasher, which will not work at the lower  current, why not just wire up a resistor
to ground to force more current  through the flasher and it should work fine?
This could be mounted right  next to the flasher under the dash.  I realize
it hogs and trashes  current, but with the LEDs not being very subject to
burnout, the non-flashing  "feature" for a burned out lanp is no longer needed.  I
would need to  figure out what the required resistance and wattage would be,
but it should  not be difficult to measure the nominal flashing current on a
stock system,  then measure the current drain with the brakes on and the flasher
not working  right, then just calculate the needed current differential at
about 14 volts  and viola, you have the needed resistance to add under the dash.
 The  wattage would be 14 squared divided by the new resistor and then throw
in a  derating factor of 2-5X added wattage for longevity.  The resistors
would  be different when running LED side lamps in addition to the rear
turnsignals.

-- Larry