<VV> Corvair Updates

Tom in Baltimore 62monza_coupe at verizon.net
Tue Jan 31 21:01:55 EST 2006

My eldest daughter's '64 Monza vert. is serving her well at college after giving me a couple of weeks of headaches. With the help of Ken Hand, I was able to trace the intermittent lack of spark to an intermittent short to ground at the noise-suppression condenser. Before cutting the condenser's lead, every time I'd touch something in that vicinity, I'd fix it, but never permanently. You can read the whole story of getting (and keeping) her car on the road at http://www.geocities.com/briannas_vair_vert/index.html.

My 16 year-old's '62 Monza couple is another story. I haven't started a website documenting its "roadification" (my word for doing the minimum possible to get a car SAFELY, but not beautifully, back on the road), but it's on my list of things to do. Anyway, a couple of weekends ago, she (with me directing) replaced the ignition system components, primed the oil system, lubricated the cylinder walls, hooked up a battery, jury-rigged a fuel delivery system, and fired it up. It ran, rather loudly due to lack of mufflers, for about a minute until the fuel was gone. She and I were quite excited about this accomplishment.

Tom in Baltimore
'63 Monza Sedan (parting out)
'64 Monza Convertible (father-daughter project basically completed)
'62 Monza Coupe (father-daughter project, about to go into the garage)
http://www.geocities.com/hughest_tom