<VV> Oil Pan questions...

BBRT chsadek at adelphia.net
Tue Jan 31 22:26:38 EST 2006

Ryan,

First, please straighten the oil pan if you did tighten the bolts too much
as it will be very difficult to get it to seal properly if it is not flat.

With regards to using RTV; usually oil causes it to not seal well and it has
been a problem that pieces break off and get in the oil system. In some
cases it works; a very thin coating on paper or even on composition and
rubber gaskets can work.  However, in most cases,  a stock gasket on a
properly cleaned surface with smooth, flat, even surfaces provides sealing.
There are exceptions where something more than a regular gasket might be
needed.

RTV-modern RTV used for the purpose of serving as a gasket can be used, as
is done on new cars. These applications do not use a gasket other than the
RTV serving as a gasket.  Where surfaces are absolutely clean and parallel
without oil film, modern automotive RTV may be tried.

Good Luck on your sealing.

Chuck S
BBRT